Wednesday, April 06, 2005

M83, "Safe"

Ever since last November, after I "acquired" the (yet to be released) M83 and Low albums within a couple of days of each other, I couldn't decide which album was better. Both became instant AOTYC's (Album of the Year Contenders).

Finally, M83 are pulling into a clear lead. Combining Sianspheric's propulsive noise-rock (circa "There's Always Someplace You'd Rather Be") with Slowdive's stratospheric vocals and emotional heft, "Don't Save Us From the Flames" is arguably the Single of the Year as well. On the plane ride back from San Diego a few weeks ago, I listened to the album a couple of times while finishing up Sylvie Simmons' Gainsbourg bio. Thus, everytime I hear "Safe" I imagine poor Serge, hopeless and drunk, his health deteriorating toward his inevitable end, pining away for Jane Birkin for the last decade of his life.

No comments: