Saturday, April 16, 2005

24. Rhythm and Sound. 20:06

Last years' Music 24/7 Experiment remained enjoyable throughout its running time in large part because it never turned into an endurance contest.

Around an hour ago, I became conscious of the fact that the "See Mi Yah" experiment has now become an endurance contest. The "spontaneous dancing" is not only less exhilirating, but also less spontaneous. I've managed to do a bunch of reading this afternoon, which is good because it keeps from looking at Winamp's playlist. I've started to dread Rod of Iron's spoken word bits at the start and in the middle of "Lightning Storm" because they distinguish themselves too much from the album's flow, thereby causing me to regain my sense of temporal place. In turn, I think back to the last time I heard those exact moments of the album. Anything that involves dissecting the passage of time like that is detrimental to making it through the next fourteen hours. Even worse, my fave track "Let Jah Love Come" is losing its lustre. I can no longer count on it for a no-fail moment of enlightenment with each repetition of the album. Also, Tikiman's triumphant arrival on the penultimate track feels more and more forced -- the "surprise" guest can only appear so many times before his appearance ceases to be surprising or welcome.

On a brighter note, I'm LOVING Jah Cotton's toasting at the end of "Dem Never Know" more and more each time I hear it.

No comments: