Sunday, April 17, 2005

24. Rhythm and Sound. 01:52

I crashed hard after the game, which shifted my situation to one of enduring the music to one of reliance on the music in order to stay awake. I never did catch up on my sleep this week. I needed the steady beat and the throb of the bass in order to distract my mind, to keep it busy, to give my body a rhythm to move to so that it didn't shut down.

Now that I've hit a second wind, surviving the music feels secondary to surviving the night without drifting off into sleep. The riddim sounds wonderful again -- less of a rush, but more of a ticking clock, albeit a soothing one that relaxes me as I settle in for the night.

These lines near the end of "Lightning Storm" are unspeakably cool. They're spoken in calm, impassioned voice, in a tone that says "even though I'm going to say this without raising my voice, don't think for a second that I'm not deadly serious about what I'm about to say".

Don't you dare touch my children
Don't you dare put your hands on them
I will rip down your city with thunderstorms

No comments: