Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Lost in Translation Soundtrack

 I bought this when it came out and it only gets better over time.  I can't remember the last time I watched the movie but can still recall many of the scenes that featured these songs in the movie.  Admittedly I don't watch many movies, but I believe that kind of synergy between (for lack of a better phrase) "pop music" and a major motion picture picture is rare.  Many times I have seen a mega-list of forty songs listed in the movie credits but can't recall hearing most of them.  Songs get played in the background for five seconds during a scene in a club and don't make any impression on me.  "Lost In Translation" rolls out like a dream pop mixtape, perfectly sequenced, capturing a distinct mood and levitating it with perfect stillness for nearly an hour.

But now I'm reading that some people credit the soundtrack for the shoegaze revival.  About five years after its release, MBV got back together and several other first gen shoegaze bands followed.  I would say that shoegaze never really went away.  In fact, 2003-2004 may have been the peak of the "Loveless" cult, where its huge popularity among the new generation of critics finally started to pay off in terms of long overdue recognition in the more mainstream 90's canon.  I wasn't shocked to hear "Sometimes" on a movie soundtrack in 2003, my general reaction was more like "it was only a matter of time".     

No comments: