Friday, May 14, 2004

So far, it's a bit of a slog. When I proposed this, it was the weekend, and there are few things better than curling up with music for large portions of the day while relaxing at home. But while working, sometimes I want quiet. And I'm happy to report that there have been no embarrassing run-ins in bathrooms around the building at work (so far). Fortunately, the radio was playing in the bank today so I was able to avoid a potentially awkward situation there. Once home, work, tunes, and the finales of three TV meshed with ease. I'm in good spirits. There are loads of things on my hard drive that I still want to hear. Listening ideas are in abundance, which will be a vital element in motivating me to see ths through.

The story so far: Bardo Pond -- Live Dec 9, 1999
Explosions in the Sky -- The Earth is Not a Cead Cold Place
SLEEP : Nurse With Wound -- Homotopy to Mary, Philip Jeck -- 7, V/A -- Dark Treasures : A Tribute to the Cocteau Twins, Yo La Tengo -- Sounds of the Sounds of Silence, Drugstore -- Various b-sides.
Tindersticks -- Waiting for the Moon
Bo Diddley -- His Best. Bo doesn't get enough credit for his awesomeness, does he? Two chord mantras, street boasting, the Bo Diddley beat, it's the best parts of Stereolab and Jay-Z rolled into one.
V/A -- Lux Nigra Allstars
Galaxie 500 -- Today
Bob Dylan -- Bootleg Series vol 6 (1964). The "Royal Albert Hall" show is a five-star affair. This all-acoustic show is too. I have not yet heard Vol 5, but I have no doubt that it's yet another five star album (and yet another completely different side of Dylan -- that much I know). Moral : Dylan is awesome. I heard a gig from last fall in Toronto, and he sounded horrid, and the band arrangements bored me as well. OK, so Dylan *was* awesome.
Galaxie 500 -- Live London Feb 1990
M83 -- Dead Cities, Red Seas, and Lost Ghosts. Do these guys ever play live? If not, they really should.
V/A -- Isolationism disc 2
Tony Conrad with Faust -- Outside the Dream Syndicate. Rhythmic and violin droning. A couple of hours worth. Oh yeah.
Gas -- Konigsforst. Still one of the ten or so finest techno albums I've heard.
Friday starts with Movietone ...

No comments: