Monday, March 03, 2008

Jeff Healey

Paradoxically enough considering his constant health problems, I had always assumed that Jeff Healey was indestructible like so many other bluesmen who lived and played to ripe old ages. News of his death came as a big shock to me.

I found myself regretting that I never saw him play, despite living in Toronto for so long and having a million opportunities to do so ... and then I remembered that I did, in fact, see him one time. Although I have fond memories of the one and only Bourbon Tabernacle Choir show that I saw, I had somehow nearly forgotten about Healey's walk-on from a packed audience. He played a couple of songs with the band, and although it was surely (?) pre-planned, it *felt* spontaneous, as if he'd just wandered in off the street and was invited on stage to the delight of a surprised BTC and their audience. Another day, another BTC gig where barely restrained chaos was the norm (*you* try cramming anywhere between six and twelve people, depending on the song and which of the band's friends are in attendance, on stage at the Horseshoe Tavern).

RIP Jeff Healey.

No comments: