Sunday, January 23, 2005

Stylus Magazine's Top 50 Albums 2000-2004

Nice work from the Stylus crew, not too many surprises, particularly in light of ILM's similar list from five months ago (which is not unexpected, considering how many Stylus writers are regular ILM posters). The placement of Sigur Ros' "()" was the biggest shocker for me -- I mean, it's more than deserving of its spot, I'm just shocked that people are coming around and starting to realize it.

Interestingly, "Madvilliany" and "Blueberry Boat" pulled a switcheroo from the Best of 2004 list, Canadians were well represented with five picks (all in the top 35), and on a more personal note, I was glad to see "XTRMNTR" get so respect (#23, wow), particularly after all the mudslinging regarding its (much lower) placement on the ILM poll.

It's also time for me to listen to "Kid A" again. I haven't heard it in about three years, and watching it top yet another Best Of poll means that I've got to get some new perspective on it. Is it still as dreadfully boring as I remember? Hopefully I'll get to this in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: