Monday, March 22, 2004

$0u1$33k has been working overtime for me yet again, with another gig of stuff coming in over the last few days. As predicted, I am getting bored with the thirty or so CD's I brought with me on this trip. No "Twinlights" this time ... I was all set to pack it, but decided it was time for a change and packed CD2 of the Cocteaus' "BBC Sessions" (which has "Half-Gifts" on it, so it wasn't a complete break with tradition). I also brought the Cure's "Disintegration" ... yes, I bought it, I own it, it's fifteen years of twisted history coming to an end yet AGAIN! But I haven't heard it yet, I'm still waiting for the right moment, i.e. an uninterrupted session where I can play it as loud as I want. Six in the morning on one of these long work nights should probably suffice.

I downloaded (finally!) the new Fennesz album, "Venice". My initial, cursory scan suggests a very noisy, abrasive effort, which is gold for those who love tha noize, but probably a bit too harsh for those who preferred the calmer, Beach Boys filtered campfire guitar strum moments of "Endless Summer".

I tried to make a visit to Dense this weekend ... and it's gone? I rode up and down Danziger Str. but couldn't find it anywhere. Stupidly, I'd forgotten to take the address with me but the good thing about all the streets turning into new streets every three blocks in Berlin is that address numbers are somewhat superfluous. You don't have to search very far once you're on the right street. So I made the trip further downtown to Neurotitan, spent about two hours there listening to about fifteen CD's and came away with some quality noise and messed up beats. I got a couple of crazy good deals on discs that will be hard to find anywhere else (including some local stuff), and now $0u1$33k will take care of the rest.

Most importantly, I had a moment of weakness last week and was rightfully reamed out for it. I was told about the gig that day by our research director Erik (he with the Speedy J background on his computer) and I totally sputtered. Shocked. Go to a concert? But I'm poor! I shouldn't spend that kind of money.

Screw the money ... thank you ILM.

No comments: