Saturday, February 21, 2004

I had another encounter with the evil Sonic Boom today. Evil as in awesome. There was a girl who arrived about the same time as me, and flipped through every last CD on the New Arrivals rack. She said she goes to SB almost every week. It's good to know that others are as sick as I am.

It is all part of my master plan to never pay more than ten bucks for a CD ever again. No more gems in the cardboard bins (I must have already bought all of the good stuff) but lots for under seven bucks. Nine discs later (twelve actually, since three were doubles, but NO, it did NOT work out to more than ten bucks per disc in those cases) and I once again have more music than I know what to do with. I did such a good job of catching up in December and January, and now I've fallen off the wagon again.

Flipping through the bins is mindless work, so I thought about ...
Daft Punk's "Digital Love" has a sticker which reads "featured in a Gap ad". Note to self : never buy a CD with such a sticker. This should be self-evident.

Saw a few techno compilations with "rave" in the title. See Daft Punk comment above.

This morning, I dusted off my cassette of "Pretty Hate Machine" and blasted my way through side one. Damn, it's such a great album after all these years. Hearing it makes me feel seventeen again. And suddenly, there I was in SB, staring at a $4.95 copy of this album, which has eluded (read : somehow never got around to buying) me on CD. And I stared at it for a few moments before continuing to flip. Because part of feeling seventeen again means crouched on the floor with headphones in my ears, killing my hearing with my cassette copies of NIN's music. It wouldn't be the same on CD. Wierd, huh?

No comments: