Tuesday, May 01, 2001

I have received more feedback about my anti-Radiohead diatribes than anything else that I have written. I don't mind being known as "the guy who hates Radiohead", but I would prefer to be known for bands that I have championed. You take what you can get, but I wouldn't mind the title of "the guy who wouldn't leave My Bloody Valentine well enough alone" being bestowed upon me. Plus, I don't actually HATE Radiohead, as I explained on 04/01/01.

Nonetheless, I am not the most, um, appropriate candidate for previewing their new album "Amnesiac". And yet, that's what the world is about to get, because I was "privileged" to be treated to about six tracks from the advance copy at Sam's at Yonge&Dundas. With the exception of a Satan-awful jazz track, "Amnesiac" is extremely listenable. As we all know, "Kid A" is meandering electronic junk. "Amnesiac" features the same liberal electronic use, but it throbs and glows like the most ambient bits of Broadcast and Stereolab. It clicks and purrs not unlike Pole or Autechre would. Thom Yorke's voice is far back in the mix, and it's barely noticeable, drifting above each track like an afterthought. The key difference is that rather than using electronics for electronics sake, they're using the technology for creating a bristling, glowing, wall of noise.

Still, for an almost identical feel, with superior haunting melody to boot, I'd recommend Yo La Tengo's "Danelectro e.p." any day of the week.