Monday, May 28, 2001

I don't review gigs on these pages (although I do plan to make an exception for next weekend's MUTEK festival in Montreal) but Mogwai and Bardo Pond are touring together. If you haven't bought a ticket yet, drop everything and do so NOW. They played here last night and it may be the best show I've ever seen. Bardo Pond's set alone was the best gig of the year. They were loud and fucking INTENSE. If I'd gone home then, I'd have had a smile on my face for the rest of the week. I was already deaf by the time Mogwai took the stage. Their set easily smoked the three previous times I'd seen them. The new songs were in full effect, and were played at 100 000 times the volume that they appear on the record (why they didn't record it like that, who knows). You've never heard such melodious noise.