Friday, March 30, 2001

I have to laugh when people say that rap music is dangerous, i.e. it encourages people to become violent and overuse the words 'ho' and 'bitch'. The truth is that most people, black and white, don't allow rap, or any other type of music, to impact negatively on their daily lives. Anyone who does is either black, and already had violent undercurrents in their psyches, or white, BORED, antisocial, maladjusted, and desperate for a more glamourous life. And vice versa, of course. I have come to realize that the only truly dangerous band ever, to my knowledge, was Spacemen 3. Many groups can claim to be hypnotic, even trancelike, but Spacemen 3's "Performance" is the only recording I've ever heard that can make a person feel rightly and fully stoned beyond all comprehension. I can actually feel my brain evaporating as I listen to it. That, folks, is one dangerous recording. Aural drugs, people turned into zombies by twisted radio authorities gone evil, it's straight out of a Twilight Zone/Poltergeist innocent bystanders sucked into a TV set scene. Their whole career, the Spacemen were practically begging people to take drugs, and if you refused them, they'd just sick their music on you, which left listeners feeling injected anyway. Thus, there was no point in resisting, and there still isn't, even fifteen years later. They'll get you somehow.