Saturday, August 30, 2014

Diary of Musical Thoughts Podcast Episode 20

"Some of them in the name of national self determination founded their own mixes", 75 min

I've been sitting on this mix for about four months, and at the time I wasn't completely sure what I wanted out of it, besides something new to listen to on an upcoming plane ride.  I was aiming for something mellow, but not particularly spacey and chilled to minus-40 like the last podcast (Episode 19).  The Lustmord, Jacaszek, Ishay Adar, and John Massoni/Sonic Boom discs were new purchases, and new discs provide my typical excuse for making mixes.  The entire tracklist was pretty much improvised.

Somehow, out of this vagueness of purpose, came a nearly perfect mix.  Whatever it is, I don't think I could have done it any better, if that makes any sense.

What I remember most about making the mix was my stunned reaction to Talk Talk's "I Believe In You" and how the mix nearly fell apart completely after that because I had no clue how to follow it up.  That might be the last time I look to "Spirit of Eden" during an improvised mix.  If you're thinking that the John Massoni/Sonic Boom track sounds like a chance to catch one's breath before the mix shifts gears into something with a more aggressive pulse, you're right.  


No comments: