Sunday, February 03, 2013

Woke up, got out of bed

Dragged a comb across my head, etc.  Packed a lunch, noticed I was late, grabbed a bus and a train, headed to the office, stopped at the bank, did a bit of work, took a short break, finally logged on to Facebook and was floored by the NEW MBV ALBUM INTERNET MULTIVERSE POSTING EXPLOSION.

So you wait 22 years for an album to come out, the lead guitarist of the band (the biggest perfectionist/procrastinator in music) responds to hecklers at a one-off London gig by saying that the new album would be out in three days, and it TURNS OUT TO BE TRUE?  There were follow-up articles written after that London gig that compiled the last fifteen years of new release announcements, and I couldn't believe that anyone took this last one the least bit seriously.  If I had been betting, I would have placed the odds somewhere between the proverbial "when monkeys fly out of my anus" and "when monkeys fly out of the anuses of the monkeys flying out of my anus" because after fifteen years of Kevin Shields saying "there'll definitely be something out by the end of the year", I thought we knew better than to be fooled yet again.

I don't have anything interesting or constructive to say, I'm just posting for the sake of posting.  I haven't even heard the album yet, but so far the responses have been overwhelmingly positive (yes!!) and I'm kind of glad I slept through those manic few hours when MBV's website repeatedly crashed due to all the traffic.

Just ... wow.  First GYBE, then Bowie, now MBV.  New music that appears without warning, after years of waiting, nearly at the point when fans had reached their peace with the idea of never hearing music from them ever again.

No comments: