Wednesday, April 29, 2009

In the beginning, there was MTV

Everybody remembers that "Video Killed the Radio Star" was the first video ever played on MTV, but it's interesting to look at which videos filled up the remainder of the first day (hat tip to Idolator). They relied heavily on the output of a small number of artists (Rod Stewart, Styx, and Cliff Richard (huh? really?) are just three of the acts that received multiple plays). They made a concerted effort to represent a good number of female artists and bands fronted by female singers (Pat Benetar, Blondie, the Pretenders). "Thriller" was still a couple of years away, so this playlist is looking a bit white. There are a number of songs (e.g. "Little Suzi's On the Up" by PhD, "Remote Control" by the Silencers) -- that I don't think I've ever heard of in my life (both band and song), although I was just seven years old at the time so it's not so surprising that I wouldn't be familiar with plenty of minor video hits from 1981. I should really play those videos for myself to confirm.

What was the best song played that first day? "Video Killed the Radio Star" is the clear winner for me, followed by "Angel of the Morning" and "Rapture".

No comments: