Friday, November 18, 2005

Mogwai + Sex and the City

I caught a rerun of SatC this and they managed to slip a Mogwai song past me in a scene where I somehow hadn't noticed it before. Somebody who works for that show LOVES Mogwai because that makes three songs of theirs that they've used during the series' run (and maybe more are lurking, unnoticed by me for whatever reason? I just discovered that the episode guide on HBO's web site also includes musical credits, so ... anyone wanna check for me? Nah, I'll eventually look through every one of them myself anyhow ...)

Season 4, episode 14, "All That Glitters". The first and best. Trey and Charlotte decide to separate just days before House and Garden magazine planned on visiting to photograph the happy couple in their fashionable, renovated apartment. Cue Trey's dramatic arrival as the opening notes to "Take Me Somewhere Nice" slide in.

Season 4, episode 16, "Ring A Ding Ding". I suppose I hadn't noticed this because unlike the other two instances, the song doesn't appear during a climatic final (or near-final) scene. Instead, "Close Encounters" shows up as Carrie sits down to read what she believes is a goodbye letter from Aidan, only to have the scene (and music) abruptly cut away to the coffee shop once she realizes it's a letter from his lawyers. There's also some serious superfan trainspotting shit going down here because "Close Encounters" was only available on the Japanese version of "Rock Action" (although it was later compiled on a European tour EP).

Season 6, episode 3, "The Perfect Present". Carrie and Berger lie in bed and finally spill the beans re: their emotional devastation at the hands of their respective exes, and in the background -- as they reveal the skeletons in their closets -- is "Kids Will Be Skeletons". It really is one of the most peaceful songs Mogwai ever recorded.

1 comment:

Joannafb said...

s4e1 10~11min & 23~14min ,The sountrack sounds like Mogwai' song, I don't know the song's name..