Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Jacques Lu Cont

Sometimes you just ignore the hype. JLC can do no wrong, the Gwen Stefani remix is the best of 2004, gotta hear his Missy Elliott remixes, etc. You can't keep up with everything.

This is further confirmation that there's always music that is beyond brilliant floating around out there, unheard by your ears. You can't walk around in a constant bother about this, rather, just accept it as the state of things and enjoy everything you hear, whenever you get to hear it. There was a time when I kicked myself for sitting on Drugstore's debut album, inexplicably not getting around to hearing it for three years. That sort of thing is common now, the difference is that I've stopped kicking myself as hard as I used to.

Lu Cont's hot streak is reminding me of all the Timo Maas hype from a few years ago. Essentially, both guys have a remix formula, with each remix turning out more or less identical to the others once fed through the formula. What's more, their styles aren't all that different -- Maas is looser, proggier; while Lu Cont has a knack of coming up with addictive new melodic leads. Huge, thumping, quaking 4/4 house beats; and euphoric, crushing breakdowns are among the qualities they share. However, I never really got into the Maas hype, whereas I'm feeling JLC, big time. I'm confused about why this is, considering the similarities between the two. One theory: I don't remember Maas relying so heavily on vocals during the climactic moments of his mixes.

It's also interesting that lots of people dislike the original tracks but love their JLC mixes/overhauls, which is just about the best compliment you can give to a remix. I also don't recall this being as much the case with Maas.

Some of this is old news, but if you haven't done it, track down JLC's work on "What You Waiting For", "Jetstream", and my tune of the week, the Thin White Duke Dub of "Mr. Brightside". All of them handily slay the originals.

No comments: