Thursday, March 31, 2005

Dead Meadow, Jennifer Gentle @Horseshoe

I found myself thinking about Bardo Pond a lot during this gig, even though BP don't sound much like either band (explanation: I like watching supersonically loud, sludgy guitar bands that can jam a little). Although BP come off as heroically stoned, whereas both of tonight's bands are grittier. But mainly, BP rely on fuzz and drone, while a band like Dead Meadow actually pick on their guitars and use the instrument for creating a melody rather than just a sound effect. Their closest kin are a band such the Warlocks, who also play sets of two bar mega-riff after two bar mega-riff. Although I have to say that I enjoyed the Warlocks more ... their songs had more boogie to them, more swagger and less sludge, and were played a lot louder (hello three guitar attack!).

No comments: