Friday, June 04, 2004

Life is sad sometimes. A crap day at work, I couldn't get tickets to any Do Make Say Think Shows, MUTEK is on and I'm not there, and Richie Hawtin is playing tonight which of course means there's no streaming allowed.

As for the first, well, stuff happens.

As for the second, it's my own fault for not getting around to getting tickets sooner. On the way back from uptown, I biked by the venue (The Music Gallery, aka a church) to find info about tickets at the door for the other shows, and since the doors were wide open, I stood outside (with my bike and my none too fashionable lycra attire, the first time I have "attended" a gig dressed as such) and caught the last few songs of the night. Compared to the only other show I saw there (Tim Hecker, vfu), in which the meagre sound volume was almost embarassing, they've done wonders with the sound setup. The band was huge (literally, there were both brass and strings this time, plus their usual double drums + guitars arrangement) and boasted the crushing volume to match.

As for the third, the reasons for this have already been discussed, and the fourth is consistent with Richie's performance last year. Perhaps tomorrow I can rock along with them deep in the night from afar (my apartment). Maybe when all the streams show up in the MUTEK archives, I can recreate the entire festival for myself. I guess I'm just full of ideas for strange and unusual musical experiments lately.

No comments: