Wednesday, December 04, 2002

More random "year in review"-esque thoughts.

Oasis' 593rd comeback single, "The Hindu Times" is their best single ever. I figured that they'd come back with an over-the-top anthemic singalong, and I figured right! But it rocked!! Definitely their best single ever. Maybe except for "Some Might Say". Ever.

Akufen sold a bucketload of "My Way" CD's, stayed huge all year, and had the #1 album of the year according to Exclaim! magazine. I still don't get the *really* big deal about him, he's good, but Mitchell Akiyama and Deadbeat (Montreal contemporaries) are still better for my money. Whatever, Montreal rules.

Primal Scream's "Evil Heat" is a lot better than the (in)-attention it's been given, but it's no classic. I'm obviously biased, since I would gladly mate with "XTRMNTR" and bear its children. Similarly, Speedy J's "Loudboxer" is WAY better than the reviews I've seen. People complain that it's just one hour of banging techno. But it's a storming, emotionally draining hour of banging techno. Granted, it doesn't open up new frontiers for techno and it's not as inventive as "A Shocking Hobby". It's structured like a DJ mix album (everything seamlessly mixed, slow start, big build, slow comedown) which means he's "confined" himself to more or less one style. But that one style is storming, emotionally draining, MINIMAL techno, so if you love that (as I do), you'll love this. (Disclaimer minimal = minimal, not "quiet")