Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Leather Uppers, The Midways, The von Drats @ Smiling Buddha Bar

Friday's solid night of rock and roll begins with the (horizontal?) striped-shirted surf rockers (I forget which opening band was which ... OK, I never knew ... OK, I was a bit too apathetic to find out at the time. This is nothing against the band, but more a case of constantly gravitating near a pitcher of beer that happened to sit near the bar with a decent view of the stage. I'm not sure I've ever seen a live surf rock band, unless Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet count. Fun stuff, but it's nothing I would go out of my way to play at home. And that's why cheap gigs at neighbourhood bars were invented).

One might be tempted to accuse Leather Uppers of hopping on the White Stripes trashpunk bandwagon, two-person guitar/drums instrumentation and all, but this band was founded in 1991. After sitting out the late 90's, they reunited a couple of years ago (maybe in response to "rock becoming hip again", or maybe not, it doesn't matter) and have gigged occasionally ever since. They start out tentatively, but soon enough the guitarist is scaling the amps and working up a good sweat. Suck up that beer-soaked energy!

2 comments:

Amit said...

the second band was the midways and they have a decent website :

http://www.themidways.com/

so i'm guessing the first one was von drats

standing by the bar was a bad idea, by the time the leather uppers played i was too wasted to really pay attention.

Barry said...

OK, I was confused because the flyer listed the bands in a different order than the Smiling Buddha's website. And as I mentioned, I was busy keeping up with you on my beer consumption and not paying close enough attention when the bands were talking.

So you're implying that standing by the bar is a recipe for drinking disaster because it's too easy to acquire more beer?