Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Continuing where I left off yesterday ... I packed my bags in about twenty minutes, right after I'd spent thirty packing my CD's. Of course, the music accompanying me on this trip would be predominantly German. The heavy hitters, i.e. Kraftwerk, Neu!, Vainqueur, Gas, Lou Reed's "Berlin", all came along for the ride. Without a proper system and speakers (only a discman), hearing music for the one waking hour I spent in my apartment each day (getting out of bed and preparing to return to it) was a bit of a chore. And with no sound card at work and a bike as my main mode of transportation, my interactions with music were limited to MTV Europe and a shockingly awesome German weather and events channel which shows live shots of various cities and resort locations while German oom-pah-pah muzak folk plays gently in the background. Very uppity in the morning, no joke. MTV Europe is shockingly awesome as well, with a maximum of music (a tasty mixture of pop and dance) and a minimum of talk.