Sunday, February 18, 2001

On an otherwise uneventful day, I was listening to the free sampler CD with my January Select magazine and I heard

"Now that you've made me want to die, you told me that you're unboyfriendable"

and I pulled the double-take to end all double takes as I almost choked on my toothbrush while rushing over to the CD player to rewind the track to check if I really had heard those lyrics. The track was "All My Little Words" by the Magnetic Fields, and with it, I was near ready to proclaim Stephan Merritt a genius based one one single solitary track. I've read that the strength of "69 Love Songs" lies in the lyrics, which perfectly encapsulate those moments in love, moments which we replay in our heads at regular intervals in life because those memories are frozen somewhere in our heads in suspended animation. Well, clearly it wasn't good enough for Merritt to stop there, he had to MAKE UP A NEW WORD in the process. The word "unboyfriendable" is so obvious that you have to wonder why it was not invented until now, but the best ideas are simple ones, which is precisely the genius of it all.